Tuesday, May 19th, 2026
Carney, Quebec government confident provinces can reach Churchill Falls deal
Newfoundland and Labrador Premier Tony Wakeham speaks during a news conference at the Confederation Building in St. John’s on Tuesday, May 19, outlining the results of a committee review of the Churchill Falls memorandum of understanding with the Quebec government that was signed in December 2024. (Paul Daly/The Canadian Press) Elected officials in Quebec say they are confident the province and Newfoundland and Labrador will reach a mutually beneficial Churchill Falls deal. A report by a Newfoundland and Labrador government-appointed committee — published Tuesday — found that the memorandum ofRead more
Trump pick Ed Gallrein projected to win Republican primary over Thomas Massie in Kentucky
Republican congressional candidate Ed Gallrein is seen greeting supporters in Covington, Ky., on Tuesday. Multiple U.S. media outlets reported Tuesday night that Gallrein was the projected winner in the Republican primary for Kentucky’s 4th Congressional District. (Joshua A. Bickel/The Associated Press) Multiple U.S. media outlets are projecting Ed Gallrein as the winner in the Republican primary vote in Kentucky’s 4th Congressional District on Tuesday, defeating Rep. Thomas Massie. The Associated Press, CBS News, CNN and NBC News each projected the U.S. President Donald Trump-backed Gallrein as the winner on Tuesday.Read more
Trump looking for a ‘win’ on Cuba as Raul Castro indictment expected
The U.S. appears poised to announce criminal charges against 94-year-old former Cuban president Raul Castro, pictured during a May Day parade in Havana last year. (Ramon Espinosa/The Associated Press) As the U.S. appears poised to announce criminal charges against 94-year-old former Cuban president Raul Castro, analysts say it’s likely a symbolic move designed to increase psychological pressure on the small island nation. They don’t rule out, however, that it could be a pretext for violence. Reuters and The Associated Press reported last week that U.S. Justice Department officials saidRead more
Hantavirus outbreak doesn’t appear to have originated on Dutch cruise ship, CEO says
The MV Hondius cruise ship is seen docked at the port of Rotterdam, in the Netherlands, on Monday. (Nicolas Tucat/AFP/Getty Images) The head of Oceanwide Expeditions says the information gathered to date about a deadly cluster of hantavirus cases “strongly” suggests the outbreak that hit his company’s cruise ship did not originate on the vessel itself. In a statement published on Tuesday, Oceanwide Expeditions CEO Rémi Bouysset provided an update on the company’s efforts to manage the crisis resulting from the hantavirus infections aboard the MV Hondius that have claimedRead more