Admins
Trump signs executive order to broaden sanctions against Cuban government
A classic car carrying tourists makes its way past the U.S. Embassy in Havana last month. (Ramon Espinosa/The Associated Press) U.S. President Donald Trump signed an executive order on Friday broadening U.S. sanctions against the Cuban government, two White House officials told Reuters, as he seeks to put more pressure on Havana after ousting Venezuela’s leader. The new sanctions target people, entities and affiliates that support the Cuban government’s security apparatus or are complicit in corruption or serious human rights violations, as well as agents, officials or supporters of theRead more
Two Canadians on aid boats intercepted by Israel have been released, organizers say
Boats carrying activists and humanitarian aid for Palestinians in Gaza reposition in the port during a symbolic send-off as part of the Global Sumud Flotilla, in Barcelona, Spain, on April 12. (Joan Mateu Parra/The Associated Press) A spokesperson for a group trying to break the Israeli navy blockade of Gaza to deliver aid says two Canadians who were detained by Israel in the Mediterranean Sea have been released. The Global Sumud Flotilla identified the Canadians as Marie Tota and Umir Tiar. Tota is a nurse from Ontario and TiarRead more
Many Canadians have avoided the U.S. for over a year. Have we reached the point of no return?
For his wife’s 75th birthday, Bruce Newman opted to take her to the theatre in London instead of travelling to New York City. The couple has been boycotting U.S. travel for more than a year. (Submitted by Bruce Newman) Fredericton landscape painter Bruce Newman used to be a frequent visitor to the United States. Up to a dozen times a year, he’d travel to the country to vacation with his wife, meet up with fellow artists or capture picturesque landscapes on canvas. But those visits abruptly ended early last year,Read more
Trump welcomes King, Queen to U.S., as high-profile state visit gets underway
King Charles and U.S. President Donald Trump are seen talking at the White House on Monday. (Alex Brandon/The Associated Press) Britain’s King Charles and Queen Camilla arrived in the United States on Monday afternoon for a four-day trip, welcomed by self-proclaimed royal fan U.S. President Donald Trump even as the U.S. president has differed with the British government over the Iran war. The state visit, by far the most high-profile and consequential of Charles’ reign, comes on the 250th anniversary of the U.S. declaration of independence from British rule andRead more
Trump talks with aides on Iran’s proposal to end war stalemate
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, left, arrives in St. Petersburg, Russia, for diplomatic talks on Monday. (Iranian Foreign Ministry/Anadolu/Getty Images) U.S. President Donald Trump discussed a new Iranian proposal on resolving the war with Tehran with his top national security aides on Monday, as the conflict remains in a stalemate with energy supplies from the region reduced. Iranian sources earlier on Monday disclosed Tehran’s latest proposal, which would set aside discussion of Iran’s nuclear program until the war is ended and disputes over shipping from the Gulf are resolved. ThatRead more
How will King Charles’s state visit to the U.S. unfold?
King Charles, centre left, and U.S. President Donald Trump, centre right, review the guard of honour at Windsor Castle during Trump’s 2025 state visit to the U.K. on Sept. 17, 2025, in Windsor, England. Charles begins a state visit to the United States on Monday. (Kirsty Wigglesworth/Getty Images) There’s a private tea and a garden party. There’ll be two highly scrutinized speeches — one at a state dinner and one to the U.S. Congress. And after King Charles and Queen Camilla leave Washington, D.C., on their four-day U.S. state visitRead more
Is it normal for the U.S. president to spar with the Pope?
When U.S. President Donald Trump posted an image of himself styled as a Jesus-like figure, before deleting it hours later, it was perhaps the clearest sign yet that his attacks on the leader of the Roman Catholic Church had entered uncharted territory. “It’s unprecedented, but given Trump, not surprising,” said Vatican observer Christopher White. The week’s attacks on Pope Leo XIV began in earnest when Trump took to Truth Social to declare him “WEAK on Crime and terrible for Foreign Policy.” Trump also suggested Leo only became pope because ofRead more
Trump expected to OK resolution to lift mining ban on Minnesota wilderness area near Canadian border
In this image from Senate Television video, Sen. Tina Smith, D-Minn., speaks about the Boundary Waters in northern Minnesota, on the Senate floor at the U.S. Capitol in Washington on Wednesday. (Senate Television/The Associated Press) Congressional Republicans have sent President Donald Trump a resolution that would lift a federal ban on mining near Minnesota’s Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness, hoping to clear the way for a South American company to extract precious metals from the region’s pristine forests, lakes and bogs. House Republicans approved the resolution last month despite conservationists’Read more
Political strain between U.S. and Britain on full display days ahead of King Charles’s American visit
U.S. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent, left, and Britain’s Chancellor of the Exchequer Rachel Reeves are shown in Aylesbury, central England, on Sept. 18, 2025. Reeves and Bessent have offered very different perspectives on the U.S. war with Iran in recent days. (Andrew Caballero-Reynolds/AFP/Getty Images) British Finance Minister Rachel Reeves was not backing away from her criticism of the Iran war as “folly,” even as she prepared to meet Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent and other U.S. officials in Washington on Wednesday. As with Canadian Finance Minister François-Philippe Champagne, Reeves is amongRead more
Trump rails against latest court decision on stalled White House ballroom project
U.S. President Donald Trump speaks with reporters outside the White House on Thursday. (Manuel Balce Ceneta/The Associated Press) U.S. President Donald Trump railed against a federal judge’s decision on Thursday that continues to block above-ground construction of a $400-million US White House ballroom, allowing only below-ground work on a bunker and other “national security facilities” at the site. U.S. District Judge Richard Leon’s latest ruling comes in response to an appeals court’s instruction to clarify an earlier decision on the 8,400-square-metre ballroom planned for the site, where it demolished theRead more